career advice 23yo interested in accounting

1. 2,499 Posts.
    Hi all,

I know someone who is 23, and needs a bit of advice about where to go next in life.

He's just done a bachelor's degree in biotechnology at Uni of Qld. Originally he wanted to do a PhD then go on to research but after talking to a few PhD's found that kind of life probably wasn't for him. He's been a bit keen on business, reading stock magazines and "the Fin" since high school. So he's thinking about going into Accounting. He's read all about the low pay, long hours and lack of respect associated with the profession but reckons it's still worth considering.

One problem is he can't do a graduate conversion course into accounting as his marks weren't that great at uni, at around the 50% region, so he'll have to do a 3 year commerce degree in accounting.

I suggested if he went this route he could maybe go to TAFE and get some bookkeeping qualifications first, then use those to get a part time job while studying. He does not have any finance related work experience.

Does any see any major problems with his plan? I told him it looks okay but then again I don't know too much about these things, not being in the finance industry.

He originally asked me to see if I could offer any advice, but I told him I'll ask around to see what I can find out.

Thanks all in advance.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.