career in investment banking

1. 1,091 Posts.
    Hi all

I'm sure someone on here must work at an Investment Bank, given HotCopper has thousands of members. Before this gets into a debate over whether or not Investment Banking is a good career choice or not and why, I would just like to state that I have started applying for 2011 Graduate poistions and it is a career I wish to pursue (so no need to debate it's merits/lack there of).

If anyone has worked in an Investment Bank I would appreicate your feedback and comments on how the interview and selection process works and whether or not the information below will affect my ability to be selected.

I have noticed that alot of banks now use online testing to screen applicants and it appears as if they don't really look at your resume at the begining? I am not bad an maths or the online tests but I would not say I am great either. This has just got me a little concerned that if they go off tests alone my chances may be reduced.

I would like to hear that they consider both test results and your resume as I believe my resume is fairly good for someone my age (20). Without trying to come across as "smug" the key points include:

1. Purchasing and running my own retail business at 16 (while still at high school)
    2. Buying shares on my own accord from the age of 12
    3. Completing my uni degree full time via correspondence.
    4. Working full time for 3 years (whilst studying full time) in property development and management.

Basically I need to get past the online/screening as I feel I would have an a good shot at selling myself in a face to face interview.

Any comments are appreciated.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.