Carr says Brogden must goFrom: August 29, 2005 FORMER New South...

1. 5,426 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2
    Carr says Brogden must go
    August 29, 2005

FORMER New South Wales Premier Bob Carr had today demanded Opposition leader John Brogden be fired, while his wife told of her hurt at being dubbed a "mail-order bride".

Mr Brogden has apologised for the comments made at a recent function and announced his resignation today.
    But speaking outside the Carrs' Sydney home this morning before he stood down, Helena Carr, who is Malaysian-born, questioned his sincerity.

She said she had nothing to say to Mr Brogden.

"I just shrugged it off, it's not worth a comment really," she said.

"Of course it's hurtful, but I know it's not the way a lot of people on his side of politics behave."

When asked whether she accepted Mr Brogden's apology, Mrs Carr questioned his sincerity.

"Well, did he apologise because he had to, or ..?" she said.

Mr Carr had already rejected the apology.

"I just think this guy's got to be evacuated from the Liberal Party leadership by close of business today," he said on radio today. "I think that his apology is entirely unacceptable to Helena and that is the greatest insult not only to her but of every woman of Asian background."

"Helena came to this country in 1965. She has never until this moment in all these years encountered a racist remark, a racist aside, a racist comment.

"She said to me today she cannot believe that after all those years she would encounter from the leader of a political party a crude, snide, racial comment like this."

------------------------------------------------------
    Apprently Mr Carr and Mrs Carr are really really upset about "Mail Order"
    No chance of them ever getting a set of steak knifes.lol

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.