CAR 1.43% $37.32 car group limited

Carsales is no longer displaying prices, page-7

1. 2,452 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 624
    It's dominance gets called into question though when people don't want to list their vehicles on the platform. As other posters have highlighted it gets eaten up by marketplace due to the cost for cheap vehicles but also because these days more people are looking for cheap vehicles on marketplace.

Carsales still has the niche for buying premium vehicles and a far superior search function but it won't be hard for someone at meta to add a proper search function to marketplace. Then it just relies on the brand name.

Which would be fine for it to chug along, if it was not taking active attempts to alienate buyers for no reason. I got pretty frustrated the other day at the obvious attempt to manipulate me into making an account. And I have an account already, so it just came across really pathetic and desperate.

It was enough to get me to try marketplace out more properly and deal with it's frustrating search. I actually have a fair bit of patience, imagine a bogan trying to buy a $5000 car?

This is why I mentioned it as a concern, because these things always start small and then suddenly the competitor has eaten up your market share. Just look at what marketplace did to gumtree and I don't even believe they were trying to alienate customers.

Appreciate the discussion. It's an interesting topic.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add CAR (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$37.32
Change
-0.540(1.43%)
Mkt cap ! $14.17B
Open High Low Value Volume
$37.80 $37.89 $37.13 $4.812M 128.5K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
7 118 $37.31

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$37.33 143 6
View Market Depth
Last trade - 12.58pm 02/09/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
CAR (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.