just some tongue in cheek stuff to start this debate off, with...

1. 17,117 Posts.
    just some tongue in cheek stuff to start this debate off, with the battle between the FHB's club and lP's club.....

but keep reading, because it really is a shocking situation
    that is developing in Cyprus, and should not be dismissed lightly.
    the banter...................
    just wondering if our friendly teddy bears are feeling as confident, with their cash deposits theories, in light of the global banking fiascos
    I am sure you may feel all warm and fuzzy, citing our banks are guaranteed, but !
    and therein lies the difference, the many ifs and buts that
    are dangers
    the current labor govnut that is eyeing off giving your superfunds a haircut, must be green with jealousy at the ease the cypriot government has taken the money off the people.....the word is they are taking 60% of their savings, just a total wipeout for anyone with over $100k in a bank account

whats yours is not yours, but theirs, the govnut or the bankers, or anyone with an unvested interest

I have no doubt labor have been discussing similar ideas to inflict on you, and there would be nothing you can do about it.

I doubt many bears would have $100k or more stashed away
    but it would be the opposite for the greedy investors
    It might be a agood idea to spread your money around with different banks, to keep it below the $100k limit

the friendly banter ends...............

as for the super, rudd promised you all he would not make any changes if you voted him in.....well the fact is they have changed it so many times, it seems more like it is their plaything and finance toy, rather than your life savings
    no wonder the younger generation are suspicous of the situation we are faced with today, since it is very different to the past, where we could trust the people running the country, and those in power
    and the distrust is not confined to the younger ones, many people are simply gobsmacked at the corruption and greed that is apparent now
    ps, your priorities must be on conserving your capital, and especially your savings....I am not interested in off shore
    tax minimisation schemes, especially in light of the fraud that has been going on around europe, since the gfc.

Tax Offset accounts, and extra savings sitting in a home loan account, are examples where your cash can be withdrawn at will, but should be shielded from any funny games your government may like to spring on you.
    Cash is no longer king, nor is it safe.
    I feel sorry for the young guns today. Maybe we are headed to a european type culture, where home ownership is confined to only 50% of the population, versus our 70%.
    Maybe just maybe, renting for life might be more acceptable to the mindset of our latest young adults, in this new age world, where trust is no longer a given.

some further reading, Cyprus shows up the dumb money
    http://www.afr.com/f/free/business/companies/cyprus_shows_up_the_dumb_money_AWCoMfbDDVwwCXytzj1N0O

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.