eng- you are so correct, and that is why the ability to model...

1. 8,915 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 31
    eng- you are so correct, and that is why the ability to model how future growth rates impact the situation is so important.

I would suggest anyone thinking they can turn 200K into 400k would just as likely turn it to zero :-)

One assumes that if they were that good at picking the winners then they may have a lot more than $200k to start with?

I predicated (in my mind) my example based on a low wage earner who is possibly not that interested in stock markets, and probably in a managed fund, or in cash. I believe there are lots of those folks out there, albeit I accept that most on HC would consider themselves expect stock pickers - LOL.

In any event, the purpose of my ramblings is to open up ideas, get the grey matter flowing, and just maybe to garner some interest, so people do take a more active interest in their Super.

In my model I'd consider any amount that produces an income of less than the Income Test threshold (currently about $7k for a couple)to be viable as a close out of super and into cash. That's not to say I would do this, but it would be a consideration. One would also save the annual fees, and the hassle of the paperwork - to some folks a huge benefit.

And IMO someone with say $80 -$100k in super it would be a no brainier. There would be a lot of women who have gone back into the workforce late in life or maybe in part time jobs that would have these sorts of amounts in Super.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.