WHAT A JOKECat Stevens philosophical over 'ridiculous'...

1. 11,223 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1
    WHAT A JOKE

Cat Stevens philosophical over 'ridiculous' deportation
    The pop star formerly known as Cat Stevens, Yusuf Islam, has returned to Britain after his deportation from the United States over "potential" terrorism links sparked a diplomatic row.

"The whole thing is totally ridiculous," Mr Islam, 57, said on arrival at London's Heathrow airport.

"Half of me wants to smile, half of me wants to growl."

British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw raised the issue with United States Secretary of State Colin Powell in person at the United Nations.

Mr Straw "expressed concern that this action should not have been taken", a Foreign Office spokesman said.

Mr Powell told reporters: "Our Homeland Security Department and intelligence agencies found some information concerning his activities that they felt under our law required him to be placed on a watch list and therefore denied him entry".

Mr Islam, who changed his name after converting to the Muslim faith in the 1970s, was travelling with his daughter on a United Airlines flight on Tuesday from London to Washington when American officials diverted it 600 miles to Bangor, Maine.

"It's crazy," Mr Islam said as he was mobbed by reporters at Heathrow.

"Everybody knows me from my charitable work and now there have to be explanations, but I'm glad to be home."

Asked if he felt victimised, he added: "Absolutely. But you know, for God's sake, people make mistakes. I just hope they have made a big mistake.

"I wasn't handcuffed or anything like that. They treated me very well," he added.

"A lot of security officers are very pleased because they got my autograph."

--Reuters

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.