Catherine Cusack MLC NSW Had Enough of Feds and Party

1. 14,989 Posts.
    Newscorp

NSW MP Catherine Cusack has announced her intention to resign from state parliament over the “unethical” allocation of funding to desperate flood victims.

The Byron, Tweed and Ballina local government areas (LGAs) – all in the Labor-held seat of Richmond – missed out on an additional $2000 per person in federal government support payments announced last week.

The additional funding was allocated to the neighbouring LGAs of Lismore, Richmond Valley and Clarence Valley – all located in the Nationals-held seat of Page.

“The idea that being a flood victim in a National Party-held seat makes you more worthy than a flood victim who is in the Richmond electorate … is probably the most unethical approach I have ever seen,” Ms Cusack said.

The Liberal upper house MP resides in the Northern Rivers suburb of Lennox Head and saw first-hand the devastation of major flooding at her doorstep.

Catherine Cusack has announced her intention to resign from state parliament. Picture: Richard Dobson
    Catherine Cusack has announced her intention to resign from state parliament. Picture: Richard Dobson

“The whole Northern Rivers should have been given funding according to their need, not according to their LGA, it‘s unprecedented,” Ms Cusack said.

“I can‘t defend it and I’m outraged by it”.

The government responded to initial criticism of the funding allocation last week, saying the decision was under review.

Federal Treasurer Josh Frydenberg defended the Morrison government, saying it sought expert advice when making funding allocations.

“We know that in the area of Lismore it‘s been a catastrophic event, and the damage that we’ve seen there is greater than what we’ve seen in other parts of the country due to floods,” he told the Today Show last week.

Ms Cusack has informed the Premier and the Liberal Party state director of her decision and will conclude her duties after a preselection process is completed.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.