The Old Testament Sabbath is still relevant in the New...

1. 5,148 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2307
    The Old Testament Sabbath is still relevant in the New Testament. God's law has never changed. Yes, many religions have attempted to alter it, all stemming from pagan Catholicism. But at the heart of God's law lies the one true Sabbath, which is a sign between Him and His people, forever. I encourage you to look deeper into this.
    Here’s a little insight I’ve put together, and I can provide more if needed. This subject deserves your attention, as it is more important than you might think. There is no sacrifice for wilful sin. Out of all I converse with on here, I believe you are truly searching truths.. Please, I ask of you sincerely to keep reading and at least consider what I am saying.

To support the claim that the Sabbath is the one true day of rest established by God and remains relevant for believers today, we can look at both the Old and New Testaments. This will demonstrate the significance of the Sabbath as a sign between God and His people, and we will also reference Hebrews 10 regarding willful sin.
    1. The Sabbath Commandment in the Old Testament

The foundation for the Sabbath is established in the Ten Commandments:
    Exodus 20:8-11 (TLV)
    "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to Adonai your God. You shall not do any work, you, your son, your daughter, your male or female servant, your livestock, or the outsider who is within your gates. For in six days Adonai made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and He rested on the seventh day. Therefore Adonai blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy."
    This commandment clearly identifies the Sabbath (the seventh day) as a day of rest and holiness, blessed by God.
    2. Sabbath as a Sign Between God and His People

The Sabbath is more than just a day of rest; it is a sign of the covenant between God and His people:
    Exodus 31:13 (TLV)
    "But you, speak to the children of Israel, saying, ‘Surely you shall keep My Shabbatot, for it is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I am Adonai who sanctifies you.’”
    This passage emphasizes that the Sabbath is a perpetual sign of the relationship between God and His people, meant to be observed by future generations.
    3. Yeshua’s Observance of the Sabbath

In the New Testament, Yeshua (Jesus) confirmed the importance of the Sabbath through His actions:
    Mark 2:27-28 (TLV)
    "And He said to them, 'The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. Therefore the Son of Man is also Lord of the Sabbath.'"
    Here, Yeshua emphasizes that the Sabbath is a gift for humanity, designed for rest and spiritual refreshment. By stating He is the Lord of the Sabbath, He affirms its ongoing significance.
    4. The Apostolic Practice

The early followers of Yeshua continued to observe the Sabbath:
    Acts 13:14 (TLV)
    "But going on from Perga, they came to Antioch in Pisidia, and went into the synagogue on the Shabbat and sat down."
    This shows that the apostles maintained the practice of gathering on the Sabbath, further indicating its importance in the early Church.
    5. Paul’s Instruction on the Sabbath

Paul, in his letters, also supports the observance of the Sabbath:
    Colossians 2:16-17 (TLV)
    "Therefore let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or Shabbat, which are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Messiah."
    This passage highlights that the Sabbath and other observances are shadows pointing to the substance found in Yeshua, not dismissing their importance.
    6. Willful Sin in Hebrews

The book of Hebrews addresses the seriousness of willful sin:
    Hebrews 10:26-27 (TLV)
    "For if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but only a terrifying expectation of judgment and the fury of a fire about to consume the adversaries."
    In this context, knowing about the Sabbath and choosing not to observe it can be viewed as willful sin. The Sabbath is a blessing, a day set apart for rest and communion with God, and disregarding it can lead to spiritual consequences.
    7. The Blessing of the Sabbath

The Sabbath is portrayed as a gift and a blessing rather than a burden:
    Isaiah 58:13-14 (TLV)
    "If you turn back your foot from Shabbat, from doing your pleasure on My holy day, and call the Shabbat a delight, the holy day of Adonai honorable, and honor it, desisting from your own ways, from seeking your own pleasure, and speaking your own words, then you will take delight in Adonai, and I will make you ride on the heights of the earth, and I will feed you with the heritage of Jacob your father, for the mouth of Adonai has spoken."
    This passage shows the blessings associated with observing the Sabbath, emphasizing its significance as a day of joy and worship.
    Conclusion

The Sabbath, rooted in the Old Testament and affirmed in the New Testament, is an eternal sign between God and His people. Yeshua taught its importance, and the early Church continued to observe it. Understanding the significance of the Sabbath is crucial; failure to observe it after knowing its truth can lead to willful sin. The Sabbath is a blessing, intended for our spiritual renewal and connection with God, highlighting the need for believers to honor this sacred day.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.