Causes of Racism

1. 7,097 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3
    Interesting study on the correlation between Racism and age. I've always thought it's overwhelmingly predominant in the older population which this study confirms. Surprisingly they say some people can destined to be racists from birth, which to me makes no sense at all. Racists tend to be a product of their upbringing and their surroundings. Add in limited life experiences and the ignorance that goes with that and it's a breeding ground for insecurity and a fear of anybody different to themselves. The encouraging aspect of the study also confirms my views that the younger generation coming through have very little sense racism. Quite a few of the resident posters in HC would be very well served to read this study and could maybe identify points which resonate with their mindset. We're never too old to be better people.

Research has shown that young people are increasingly less racist than older people. For example, in 1958, just 4% of Americans approved of interracial marriage. This support only reached 50% in 1997, while now it is at 87%.But the old prejudices of yesteryear don’t encompass racism entirely. Sometimes it can reveal itself with an ill-judged joke, or subtle racial stereotyping. As people age, their ability to judge what is or isn’t appropriate may falter, causing them to blurt out something others consider insensitive. (Although, others are simply born that way, and age has nothing to do with it.)

People can seem more racist as they get older, but it’s not simply a case of ‘being from a different time’ (*.com.au)

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.