MSB 5.24% $1.11 mesoblast limited

Those who listened to the ODAC committee morning session would...

1. 236 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 226
    Those who listened to the ODAC committee morning session would no doubt recall the negativity of the FDA rep. I realise he was just doing his job, and in the long run, the fact that the FDA played a hard game could be a considerable advantage imo.

Amongst the FDA concerns were criticisms of the 'critical quality attributes' MSB proposed to use to measure the consistency, potency and effectiveness of batches of remestemcel-l.

From the briefing notes, the “FDA’s position is that the product attributes the Applicant has identified as related to potency and activity of the product, however, do not have a demonstrated relationship to the clinical performance of drug product lots, ....” And on it went.

My science qualifications are a little rusty, but it’s my understanding that Mesoblast believe the quality and potency of its MSC cell product lots can be gauged through monitoring the frequency of a number of cell surface markers, and particularly by the cells ability to inhibit production of the inflamatory cytokines, TNF-alpha and IL-2R alpha. The FDA weren’t convinced.

I suspect backroom discussions between the FDA and Mesoblast have been ongoing since August 13th. If the mechanism for monitoring quality and potency of MSC’s really is a stumbling block, it needs to be resolved.

Now by coincidence, a large study of Covid-19 patients in the Mount Sinai health system was published yesterday.

The study followed the clinical information, laboratory test results and patient outcomes, of 1484 individuals hospitalised with Covid-19 earlier this year. Long story short, the researchers concluded that high serum levels of IL-6 (P<0.0001) and TNF-alpha (P=0.0140) remained independent and significant predictors of disease severity and death, regardless of demographics and comorbidities.

Thinking out aloud again, given that remestemcel-l is proposed for use against both aGVHD and Covid-19,  MSB already has TNF-alpha covered. I wonder what the FDA think about IL-6?

Nonetheless, my view is that, at least in paediatric conditions, if a treatment is safe and it works, that's enough. The Advisory Committee clearly agreed. 9-1.

Disclosure. I’m biased.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-1051-9#Tab1

Herro

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add MSB (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$1.11
Change
0.055(5.24%)
Mkt cap ! $1.261B
Open High Low Value Volume
$1.05 $1.13 $1.04 $6.781M 6.207M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
3 43856 $1.11

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$1.11 66000 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 05/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
MSB (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.