MSB 4.89% $1.07 mesoblast limited

With so much Covid-19 related research going on at the moment,...

1. 236 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 226
    With so much Covid-19 related research going on at the moment, it’s difficult to judge how Mesoblast’s ARD’s trial compares to all other trials utilising MSCs, and in fact, what the true nature and extent of those trials actually is.

So it was useful to find a comprehensive comparative study, published just yesterday:
    “The use of mesenchymal stromal cells in the treatment of coronavirus disease 2019”.

https://translational-medicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12967-020-02532-4#Sec8

It’s a bit wordy in parts, but here’s a couple of quotes and takeaways. (The highlighting is mine)

“The use of mesenchymal stromal cells (MSC’s) for Covid-19 has become an attractive avenue down which almost 70 different clinical trial teams have ventured.”

“MSC’s possess both regenerative and immunomodulatory properties, the latter of which can be harnessed to reduce the severity and longevity of ARDs in patients under intensive care . . . .”

From the study, the table in the link below lists the 70 trials. Mesoblast is sixth from the bottom.

https://translational-medicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12967-020-02532-4/tables/2

From my reading, only 6 of the 70 trials have more than 100 patients across both arms. And Mesoblast's potential patient cohort of 300 is by far the largest. (200 is next).

The very small numbers in many of the trials, (48 trials with 50 patients or less), imo suggests they are likely early phase 2 at best.

The researchers noted: “In relation to the tissue of origin for the derivation of MSCs to be administered, only 5 trials are using what is considered to be the gold standard for clinical use, bone marrow MSCs." Mesoblast of course, 1 of the 5.

And the conclusion:

“As the world waits for the development and ready availability of an effective vaccine against SARS-CoV-2, there is also an anticipation to learn of the outcomes of the ongoing trials utilising MSCs as a cellular therapy to combat the effects of the virus. With no effective drug against SARS-CoV-2 or its effects available, there is great hope that MSCs will provide a means to curtail the aggressive inflammatory response seen in patients severely affected by Covid-19.

While the early published studies have provided a promising outlook for this strategy, data from better powered and controlled trials will be needed to make more conclusive judgements."

“Better powered and controlled”? The standout seems pretty clear to me.

Usual bias. DYOR.
    Herro

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add MSB (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$1.07
Change
-0.055(4.89%)
Mkt cap ! $1.221B
Open High Low Value Volume
$1.14 $1.16 $1.06 $8.816M 8.055M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 280000 $1.07

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$1.07 2000 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 29/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
MSB (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.