"This is what I was referring to from the ATO's website. If I'm...

1. 5,197 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 35
    "This is what I was referring to from the ATO's website. If I'm not receiving dividends I cant claim these deductions as an investor or otherwise add to my CGT cost base."

You can only use deductions to lower you taxation income  to the extent that your taxable income does not go bellow zero.

If you have not derived any income  then you cannot deduct anything. So your changes of some kind of tax concession does have to come from the CGT area.

In this case, if you could prove that you need your computer and internet connection to administer your investment in shares then the third element would apply. The problem here is this: how can you justify the need for  a computer plus internet access for shares being kept in a registry? The only thing that I can think off as a justification is that a computer with internet access is needed in order to ascertain that nobody  has robbed you of your shares. However, I doubt if the ATO would agree with you.

Third element: costs of owning the CGT asset.

You don't include these costs if you acquired the asset before 21 August 1991.
    The costs of owning an asset include rates, land taxes, repairs and insurance premiums. You also include any non-deductible interest on loans used to finance:
    • the acquisition of a CGT asset
    • capital expenditure to increase an asset’s value.
    You can't:
    • include these costs in the cost base of collectables or personal use assets
    • index these costs
    • use them to work out a capital loss.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.