MKY mky resources ltd

Chalco wins bauxite mine bid15 September 2006, Evan...

1. 3,754 Posts.

Chalco wins bauxite mine bid
    15 September 2006, Evan Schwarten
    Chalco wins bauxite mine bid

By Evan Schwarten

September 15, 2006 03:51pm
    Article from: AAP

CHINESE aluminium company Chalco's plans for a massive bauxite mine at Aurukun, in far north Queensland, are moving forward after the company was granted preferred developer status.

Premier Peter Beattie today announced the company, one of 10 major international companies to express interest in the project, was the successful bidder.

Chalco now has exclusive rights to complete agreements with the State Government and the local Aboriginal community who control the land.

They also will conduct a $40 million feasibility study over the next two years.

One of the first objectives of the feasibility study will be to find a location for a $2.2 billion alumina refinery.

Possible sites include Gladstone, Bowen and Townsville.

Deputy Premier Anna Bligh said Chalco would spend almost $3 billion to establish the project which will produce 2.1 million tonnes of alumina each year.

Much of the output is expected to be exported to China to feed the country's rapid industrial growth.

The construction of the mine is expected to create around 700 jobs in Aurukun - an economic coup for the struggling community.

The refinery is expected to create an additional 1600 construction jobs.

Ms Bligh said the announcement vindicated the Government's decision to remove the lease of the site's former holders Alcan, who controlled the site for 30 years without developing it.

"The processes we put in place have seen a very, very strong international bid and Chalco is now really in a position to take this project forward," she said.

Aurukun Mayor Neville Pootchemunka said he was happy the site would finally be developed.

"We've waited over 30 years and I think this is the time we have to take a step forward," he said.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add MKY (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.