Changing AUD to YEN

1. 9,046 Posts.
    Hmm this a regular issue with me and every time I feel rogered - sometimes severely. In Japan the AUD is about as welcome as heroin...(both currencies are pretty volatile)..the exchange rate is terrible. At Narita exchange store today at arrivals it is a 10 yen discount.....from the official rate..(about 11%)...The banks are pretty close to that maybe 1 yen, 2 at best better. We're off again soon, and I'm thinking buy USD here...hope we spike again over the weekend - and get USD monday....and then go to yen in Tokyo where the loss is only about 3% at Narita, but also lose 2-3% on the AUD/USD exchange here in Oz....Still better.
    I've never tried the 7-11 store machines, Citibank ATM's, or Japan Post....but have heard they are better often. Pretty hard to get their current exchange rates to compare...Only Japan Post...posts theirs....and still pretty ordinary....I do have a Citibank account and could use it....or 7-11. Anyone got good suggestions....I'll get enough yen out of Narita to get us to Shinjuku.....but have to hunt yen the next day.....
    Thanks for any advice....we'll be all over the country - mostly where cash rules....

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.