charities?, page-31

1. 12,085 Posts.
    snuff

Not taking electrical items because of OHS is a shame.

We live in a society where a lot of perfectly good electronic and electrical items, some within warranty, are replaced due to newer technology or a new fad. Many items are going to waste, especially if charities can't take them. I understand brand new items are accepted.

Two weeks ago I was getting my car serviced and had to kill some time.
    I ended up walking into a small charity shop run by some sweet old ladies. I reminisced with one for about 30 mins about the area whilst I picked out some items. They had a brand new Dora toaster that left an impression of Dora on the toast. My 5 yrs old is mad about Dora(The Explorer) so I had to have it. Several egg holders from the 70s in perfect nick, the type that had the border to place your shells. A couple of other Tupperware kitchen items. She also threw in a couple box sets of bath salts they got stuck with.
    The toaster alone was $8 but she said $6 for the lot...she must've appreciated my conversation. I said no chance and gave her what cash I had, $12. They do excellent work and I think most charge too cheap. It's common for ordinary people who can afford to use charity shops. They're excellent for older items...maybe score an antique. They have excellent cutlery. I like to pick up the odd spoon on the Internet which are old and proper stainless steel, old school solid items. Charity shops are a good place to find them. Even a perfect condition set of 4 liqueur glasses where 25c each!

I hope they survive as I think they have some very kitch stuff. But that's my opinion as I like pre 90s, especially pre 70s.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.