WDS 2.06% $27.19 woodside energy group ltd

Hi Horsetrader,Charlie is not always right, his analysis is...

1. 1,694 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 15
    Hi Horsetrader,

Charlie is not always right, his analysis is sometimes a little top down and he is nearly always optimistic. However notwithstanding that he is, imho, the 'analyst'/research broker to pay attention to operating on the ASX. Why? Because he makes reasoned recommendations and unlike all his IB counterparts isn't forever equivicating because he backs his judgement . Resource investing, most especially at the Mid tier level and below, is all about calculated risk taking. If even 50% of ones high conviction growth picks work out then one will do very well. I think Charlie has a hit ratio above 50%. What is more is he is clearly enjoys and is engaged with the market and has a much better feel for it that your average buy side institutional analyst or quant.
    And as for the FMG recommendations - you have to remember he started recommending FMG when it was at under $20 (pre split) and all the other brokers wouldn't touch it so his buy at $10 (post split) call wasn't the worst recommendation ever.

Its just a shame that he is discontinuing his under the southern cross daily email in November as it was such an engaging read and a great precis on which companies that I (as a 'part time' investor) may have overlooked are worth researching.

Getting back to the topic at hand, I'm surprised about his bullishness on the likelihood of a BHP bid. Like others I wouldn't think BHP could justify a $60 share/50b takeover. Although a smaller scale, I would see a better ROE from a bid for KAR (disclosure I'm a holder) with cheap exposure to the exciting Santos Basin. That being said, although I'm not (currently) a SH, I will be watching WPL SP closely now and am investigating cheap call options just in case. I remember the APA bid for QAN being proceeded by similar price action and rumours of a bid which I dismissed as fanciful (why would anyone pay $5 for QAN, lol).

Good luck holders! Hopefully with or without a t/o WPL will reward investors patience with Pluto.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add WDS (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$27.19
Change
0.550(2.06%)
Mkt cap ! $51.84B
Open High Low Value Volume
$27.00 $27.39 $26.93 $199.9M 7.360M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
6 107736 $27.19

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$27.23 50 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 30/08/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
WDS (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.