The Quest for the perfect mechanical trading System" (Version...

1. 4,246 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 916
    The Quest for the perfect mechanical trading System"
    (Version 32,694 LOL)

Hi all, things are a bit slow here today so thought I might try something a bit different. PRT has this nifty Backtest function where you can program in a trading methodology & it will spit out the results for you.

Some of you might remember the MA thread we did the other week where I was keen to look at MA Xes and the like as a foundation for trading decisions with some pretty startling results.

Enough waffle, bottom line is I have played with 5 & 13 EMA crosses for a while & to be blunt when I checked results for a couple of shares the "reality" is that "it ain't working mate". Too much whipsawing ... especially in trending markets like we have had for last 6 months � I think subconsciously I had �cheated� and ignored some of these mini swings in previous manual calcs; sigh!.

then I opened a chart of llc this arvo and to my eye price appeared to behave itself in long definable trends either above or below 41 ema ... ahhh I thought ... lots of 10-15% trends there for the taking.

Put in the program based on entering longs when 41ema turns up; exit when flat or down & reverse for short.

See the results below with a cuppla notes for those not familiar with layout. Bottom line is process turned $10,000 into $6,800 in more than a hundred trades over 5 years.

Back to the drawing board. LOL

PS1; As I think I concluded in that MA thread just have to have a system that is �smarter� than this simple method; eg maybe could consider a minimum slope on the 41 ema as a trigger.

PS2: Not sure if anyone is interested in this analysis?? If anyone has a combo that they think is �the real thing� let me know & I will do a visual & if it �looks good� I will plug it in!

GJ

llc1

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.