IMM 4.60% 45.5¢ immutep limited

CHECKPOINT INHIBITORS - What The?

1. 91 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 179
    Checkpoint Inhibitors, What The?

Checkpoint "Inhibitors" are a type of immunotherapy.

They are proven treatments for cancers such as melanoma, lung cancer and skin cancer to name a few. Checkpoint Inhibitors are drugs that block different checkpoint proteins.

For example, CTLA, PD-1 and PD-L1 Inhibitors.
    There is also a new kid on the block called LAG3, as recently validated via an adjuvent trial Titled RELATIVITY-047, which is LAG3 combined with nivolumab (Opdivo) in melenoma. These results were disclosed by BMS (Bistol Myers Squibb) at ASCO 2021.(Reference to this new checkpoint breakthrough "LAG3" can be found on LINK 1 below in this post or via searching the ASCO website.)

Examples of currently "FDA approved" Checkpoint Inhibitor drugs include pembrolizumab (Keytruda), ipilimumab (Yervoy), nivolumab (Opdivo).

What do Checkpoint Inhibitors actually do?

They block proteins that stop the immune system from attacking the cancer cells.

Some checkpoint point drugs can work in more than one way and belong to more than one group, their full reach upon further investigation may prove exponential as either singular therapies or in combinations (As adjuvents).

Checkpoint inhibitors can also be described as a type of monoclonal antibody or targeted treatment.

(What on earth is a monoclonlal antibody?)

A monoclonal antibody is made so that it binds to only one substance. Monoclonal antibodies are being used to treat some types of cancer. They can be used alone or to carry drugs, toxins, or radioactive substances directly to cancer cells.

How do checkpoint inhibitors work?

Our immune system (cells) protect us from disease, killing bacteria and viruses.

One main type of immune cell that does this is called a T cell.
    T cells have proteins on them that can both turn on an immune response and other that turn it off. These are called checkpoint proteins. Some checkpoint proteins help instruct T cells to become active, for example when an infection is present.

Cancer cells make high levels of proteins, these protiens can actually switch off T cells. When these same T cells should be attacking the cancer cells to boot them out. So, effectively, the cancer cells are pushing a stop button on the immune system. (Putting the breaks on as MV and DR FT often describe it) Therefore, T cells can no longer recognise and kill cancer cells.
    ("Cancers are real Sneeky Bleeps aren't they").

Drugs that block checkpoint proteins are called checkpoint inhibitors. They tell the proteins on the cancer cells to STOP pushing the stop button, (RACK OFF in other words) or more eloquently as, (MV and DR FT describe it " Releasing the Brakes"). This turns the immune system back on and the T cells are able to find and attack the cancer cells.

LINK 2. Below, is perhaps an easier visual way to understand it rather than using my cut and paste, mixed and matched thoughts/ jargon, (1m and 3sec video visual summary of my above post). Very clever these Scientists, Gee!!!

LINK 1.
    https://www.melanoma.org.au/news-events/news/australian-researchers-lead-world-in-successful-trial-of-new-cancer-treatment/

LINK 2.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm3O1D8EMQk&feature=youtu.be

IMO
    DYOR
    Good luck to ALL

Further Disclosure and Thoughts:
    Translating complex things in writing personally helps me learn more efficiently. Any opinion interpreted herein is my own and based on the simple personal belief that "a broken pencil will always out do a sharp mind".

This is NOT advise in any way shape or form, just a share of info.
    I am not a clinician or medical professional nor have I completed a degree in any relevant discipline. This whole post is my personal untrained interpretation, meandering thoughts and is based on cut/ pastes and translations that help me understand things better.
    Perhaps sharing my summary is useful to others as well, to deepen and simplify your own personal understanding of Checkpoint Inhhibitors and just how important this science is to ALL of us.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add IMM (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
45.5¢
Change
0.020(4.60%)
Mkt cap ! $540.9M
Open High Low Value Volume
44.0¢ 45.5¢ 43.0¢ $439.6K 992.0K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 10000 45.0¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
45.5¢ 65958 3
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 17/05/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
44.8¢
  Change
0.020 ( 3.21 %)
Open High Low Volume
44.0¢ 45.0¢ 43.0¢ 240557
Last updated 15.59pm 17/05/2024 ?
IMM (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.