cheeky name sees racehorse banned

1. dub
    33,892 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 350

Cheeky name sees racehorse banned
    By Bart Sinclair

May 30, 2008 02:06am

AYDEE Fic might never be a superstar racehorse but after one start he has a cult following around Australia.

A week ago few race fans were aware of Aydee Fic but there were some punters, most of Lebanese background, cheering and laughing as the two-year-old won on debut at Toowoomba on Saturday night.

What most now know, via blog sites and pub talk, is the loose translation of the Arabic phrase Aydee Fic is ... f--- you.

All racehorse names have to be approved by Racing Information Services Australia. Not surprisingly officials in Melbourne didn't pick up the cheeky name. But they have moved swiftly to ban Aydee Fic, who in future will be known officially as Journey On.

Geelong businessman Rodney Lane has been identified as the "culprit".

"I was only having a bit of fun. That was the third name I submitted on the list of possible names," Lane said.

"I think Sam Newman is right. It's a sanitised world now. The minority rules."

Toowoomba trainer Tony Gollan wasn't sure of the exact meaning of the words until Aydee Fic won. The phones at the Toowoomba Turf Club office ran hot after the race as word spread.

Gollan's mother Paulette, a part-owner, agreed to the name change to Journey On. But Lane is not happy with the new moniker.

The dust at least will be allowed to settle. Aydee Fic has been sent to the spelling paddocks and won't be back at the racetrack for a few months.

Despite the diligence of RISA officials, there have been a few risque names sneak through the system.

Richard Cranium raced for several seasons; Wear The Fox Hat was never banned (say it quickly); and Stun On caused mirth with the dyslexic (spell it backwards - he was a gelding).

Others are very clever. Like the filly registered as Last To Know, sired by Knowledge out of a mare called Camilla.

:-)

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.