IMM 6.33% 42.0¢ immutep limited

Neil Frazer replied again within 10 hours and gave permission to...

1. 193 Posts.
    Neil Frazer replied again within 10 hours and gave permission to post the reply. Sorry if it is a bit long winded, and my comments are included below the reply. I have replaced private details with XXX's.

"Hello Primabiomed. I am a current share holder.

A news article about the affects of Chemotherapy has been released indicating that Chemotherapy boosts cancer cell growth. Given this latest development, does this revelation pave the way for Primabiomed to seek approval to administer Cvac pre Chemotherapy?

I find it hard to understand, given this latest research, that administering Cvac post Chemotherapy is better than before Chemotherapy. In affect, Cvac is fighting more cancer cells produced by Chemotherapy than if it was administered pre (or no) Chemotherapy.

Given the latest research, will Primabiomed be altering it's approach to cancer treatment.

Regards
    Xxxxxxx Xxxxxxx
    Ph Hm: xxxxxxxxxx
    Mob xxxxxxxxxx
    Shareholder for 5 years"
    (The news item was below my message)

"On 7/08/2012 10:25 PM, Neil Frazer wrote:
    Hello Xxxxxxx,
    Many thanks for your communication regarding the damaging effects of chemotherapy on healthy cells and the potential for tumour cells to benefit as a result. Thank you also for being a shareholder in our company, and believing as we do that CVac will make a difference in patients with cancer.
    As you are well aware, although we understand a lot about tumour biology, the processes by which tumours escape our own immune surveillance and grow are still poorly understood. Surgery and chemotherapy are the standard of care for ovarian cancer, and physicians will not change their practice unless there is overwhelming evidence that something else is better. That takes time and research. We have embarked on the best possible way to research whether CVac can help patients by studying a group of patients who have no alternative therapies, and minimal tumour burden after surgery and chemotherapy. If and when we get CVac to market, it is very likely that alternative treatment regimens such as you suggest will be explored in properly controlled studies, and it is indeed possible that a course of immune therapy prior to chemotherapy might offer greater benefit to patients.
    I sincerely appreciate your interest in our company, and in looking for ways to help cancer patients.
    Regards

Neil Frazer MB ChB
    Chief Medical Officer
    Prima BioMed Ltd
    + xxxxxxxxxxx (cell)
    + xxxxxxxxxxx (office)
    + xxxxxxxxxxx (fax)"

My Comments after reading the reply.

I fully accept the "If and when we get CVac to market" is not negative or positive, as Neil obviously cannot make public guarantees.

IMHO, I think the response highlights the exact path Primabiomed is taking to reach market, and is the path that will give the highest probability of success. It is also where there is an unmet market in cancer after care, in that they "have no alternative therapies".

In reference to the news about the effects of chemotherapy boosting cancer cells, I tend to agree with what I think wisdomofsilence is alluding to, in that there are stubbling blocks to ever get Cvac administered pre-chemo. If it is proven that Cvac is better pre-chemo, then there are going to be some chemotherapy drug companies who will loose out big time in sales. I don't think they would take it lying down, and many physicians, I believe, are on incentives from drug companies, so to even change this aspect would be a big challenge.
    Unfortunatley, patient care can come second when large amounts of profits are involved. (Recent news that Thalidamide company were aware of warnings comes to mind)

Perhaps (and I hope not) that a chemotherapy drug company might make a play for PRR. Now there's a debate that could rage for weeks.

As WOS mentioned in his post, I hope common sense prevails.

GLTA

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add IMM (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
42.0¢
Change
0.025(6.33%)
Mkt cap ! $598.3M
Open High Low Value Volume
39.5¢ 42.0¢ 39.5¢ $890.1K 2.163M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
3 127863 41.5¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
42.5¢ 30850 2
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 21/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
IMM (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.