China imploding, page-49

1. 22,432 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 769
    You have obviously never worked in manufacturing .

I have and I have seen how competitor products are analysed
    and copied within a flyshit of breaching patent.

And if its not economically viable to do the patent avoiding copy,
    then the the royalties are reluctantly paid.

Ill give a few examples:

(a) The VW diesel cheat.
    VW in conjunction with others devised the "Diesel Chat" to avoid the "Add Blue" patented technology owned by a competitor

(b) Samsung vs Apple vs Samsung
    These two hi-tech have been involved in patent/IP battle for years

(c) If there is IP/Patent theft by China's product owners then like Sansung vs Apple , there are
    legal remedies.

(d) If the owners of patents/IP contract to share that technology as a condition of entering the Chinese
    market. That's not theft. There were the same accusations leveled at other emerging manufacturing countries in history:
    -Japan
    -USA
    etc etc.

PS: I remember visiting a very famous auto manufacturer's R&D facility in the late 1980s and I was
    amazed to see the work being put into analysing its competitors latest product.
    It had bought 5 units:
    -dismantled one unused unit into its base 20K parts add measured & analysed them
    -dismantled two others that had been tested under extreme conditions & measured & analysed the results
    -the other 2 were being field tested under normal working conditions to measure features & benefits.

All this data was then fed into its "Big Blue" computer to compare & contrast the data with that of its own
    product with the intention of copying /improving the competitors advantages for the new product.

All of this was carefully orchrastrated to minimally avoid technically infringing on patent./IP rights of
    others but to an outsider it mostly looked like copying.

In this field as in other manufacturing, global diversification in design & manufacture is narrowing
    and that is evidenced in across industry consolidation of ownership in the West eg: Toyota, VW etc
    (two new Toyota models are BMW & Subaru badge engineered which, IMO, is the fine end of the acquisition wedge)

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.