Interesting and I agree that patent laws and indeed all IP laws...

1. 30,055 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1758
    Interesting and I agree that patent laws and indeed all IP laws try to balance competing interests. Without going too much into the theory and practice, we both know that patents exist to encourage innovation and reward inventors and the limits to the exclusivity of 20 years is the balance with the public interest of allowing those inventions or innovations to be widely shared.

I don't think there is any doubt that the Chinese have engaged in dodgy practices. Because others sail close to the wind is not to the point. Try litigating in China and you'll discover the limits to the legal certainty and fairness that underpins their legal system.

I have been involved in IP litigation (not a patent lawyer but familiar with it, briefed on it and was involved in copyright IT claims) and there's often bullying particularly of small operators. But it's possible to push back and win in our legal system. Try it in theirs.

Technology transfer is one of the costs that the Americans paid for access to the colossal market. In many respects they let greed overwhelm them. But equally, they naively believed that trade would lead to a change in the legal system in China to be more open and accountable, and that has not been borne out by experience.

In other words, the situation is far more complex than most analysts would have it, but on balance the Chinese actively engage in industrial espionage and at a level that's beyond the pale. Also too is the convergence between companies' and their national interest. They are largely government owned companies and what they do has the backing of the state.

In conclusion I think you're extrapolating too much from individual experience, without looking at the wider picture. Yes our IP regimes aren't perfect and nor is planned obsolescence, or quality control and recalls, but the Chinese haven't shown sufficient respect for commercial legal or IP norms. Sure they work within the system to a point, but they are brutal with their interests.

Well done on your resourcefulness though. That kind of thing is a challenge and I've done similar things myself just not with the electronics. A win like that converts frustration into fun.
    Last edited by dolcevita: 19/11/20

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.