TMT 0.00% 26.0¢ technology metals australia limited

Good to hear from you mate, always love your input. Is the...

1. 628 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 420
    Good to hear from you mate, always love your input.

Is the Vanadium price really low? Low point in the cycle perhaps, but is it low in real terms?

It seems to be a common thought around here but when I sit back and look at $8 or $9 spot I'm not so sure. My mind is made up when I look at the last two years where it hasn't traded below this price.

Double the marginal price commodities typically return to at low points in the cycle.

The one sure thing is that commodity prices will go up and down. At any point the price doesn't really tell you much but as time passes the average price being paid will meander around some value that keeps both buyer and seller in the market.

That medium term average is what determines the annual profits of users and producers. The price they pay for V2O5 on August 3 2019 doesn't have much input on future returns.

Pre tax IRR falls from 55% to 25% dropping sale price from $13 to $8 if you assumed that the price would somehow suddenly stop dead.

It's a ridiculous notion but yes, an average price is needed for any modelling exercise so the question then is whether a 25% return is sufficient for a $25b semi government monster with a mandate to grow:

"The Group aims to become a key player in the metal industry in China. Leveraging on the management expertise in the mining business and capitalizing on future acquisition growth, the Group expects improvements in future returns for shareholders and investors alike."

$284m US is the last estimate. Rookie has pointed out CMNC's track record of funding development with a combination of debt and equity.

Make no mistake, this is going ahead, all just a matter of negotiation. That's where management's well thought out strategy of multi pronged investment comes in handy.

Other players in the mix, fighting over an essential input to their operations, with a 25% (will be in the 30's by DFS) return in an ultra low yield environment.

Sorry, off track... V price. It's unbelievably high I think. Last years average price paid by users is the highest ever and the next year is likely to be second. $8 in isolation is very profitable for high grade production and $8 as a baseline is a no brainer. Big picture. Don't sweat the micro trends. Play long... all that crap I go on about and noone much cares for...

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add TMT (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.