MAD keeps the nuclear threat at bay. Or did. But the Chinese. I...

1. 7,037 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 166
    MAD keeps the nuclear threat at bay. Or did. But the Chinese. I think , would use it if they were on the wrong end of a mauling.

However, sheer numbers and a threat in its own geographic sphere ensures that the West needs to be very sure of itself in any manoeuvring and the thought of a mauling goes out the window when you realise the track record of Vietnam and Korea in that same sphere is pretty woeful and the enemy many times larger and better equipped.

Having North Aus as a jump off point in Darwin is a bonus but if I was China I’d have some port infiltration (courtesy of Australian Gov. contract) and a mass of missiles targeting that area to negate immediately.

In fact most of the other Pacific US bases would be targeted too. It will either be, Taiwan that is, a short sharp fracas or if it becomes a long drawn out affair , hard to see the West holding its own.

If something does happen it’s probable sanctions across the board. Help for the US/Aus outside of this area, that is NATO, could be held in check by Russian shenanigans around Ukraine.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.