LYC 0.78% $7.76 lynas rare earths limited

China, page-5

1. 2,136 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2363
    Just as the Chinese Communist Party failed to control the iron ore price, so too will it ultimately fail to control rare earth prices...

China Can’t Control Its Iron Ore Roller Coaster

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/authors/david-fickling

David Fickling - Bloomberg

Attempts to rein in this market are unlikely to succeed. Just like Beijing’s other failed efforts to regulate commodity prices.
    The nine most terrifying words in the English language, Ronald Reagan once joked, are “I’m from the government, and I’m here to help.”
    For anyone involved in commodity markets, there’s a still more alarming version: “I’m from the Chinese government, and I’m here to stabilize prices.”
    That’s reason to be highly skeptical that Beijing’s plans to rein in the wild swings in the iron ore market will succeed. The government is developing a state-backed platform to coordinate all Chinese purchases of the steelmaking material, people familiar with the matter told Bloomberg News this week.
    In theory, that would give more bargaining power and stability to the country’s mills, which spit out more than half the world’s steel.
    Good luck with that.
    In everything from metals to food, Beijing’s attempts to regulate the market prices of raw materials have more often failed than succeeded.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add LYC (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.