HIG 0.00% 10.5¢ highlands pacific limited

Next month, the landowners are planning a new tactic: They will...

1. 230 Posts.
    Next month, the landowners are planning a new tactic: They will weld bars across the bridge to block it until their compensation demands are satisfied."

Nothing new for PNG. They do it to every mine site. They have also been blocking roads in parts of PNG because they want compensation. The roads are the work of the Govt, not any other company so this sort of action is not just levelled at mining companies but anyone who the local landowner feels owes them money.

Mind you these issues tend to get resolved very quickly.

Below is an article from the Post Courier (PNG newspaper) regarding the issue surrounding the work permits.

"Court frees Chinese miners
    By SIMON ERORO

THE 178 non-citizens apprehended in a special joint operation conducted by government officers are free, and can continue working at the Ramu nickel mine.
    The special operation was conducted by officers from the Department of Labour, Migration and officers from the Trans-National Crime.
    It followed reports alleging foreigners were entering the country and working at the mine without following proper immigration processes and without work permits.
    There were also allegations levelled against responsible departments for non-performance.
    This decision was handed down by the Chief Magistrate John Numapo at the Madang District Court last Wednesday in Madang.
    Attempts to talk to Mr Numapo were unsuccessful yesterday.
    However, Senior Magistrate Jacob Sareng said from Madang that the court ruling was based on evidence tabled in court.
    Mr Sereng confirmed Mr Numapo found the Chinese workers apprehended during the special operations at the mine site were allowed into the country through a government to government agreement.
    “Meaning they were actually working in the country with proper permits and were not illegally in the country as branded by Papua New Guinea officials,” Mr Sereng said.
    He said this was kind of an inter-arrangement where they were allowed to come into country on tourist and business visas with the knowledge that their work permits and visas would be processed within six or seven months but that had not been the case.
    Mr Sereng said the District Court found that since it has a government to government arrangement, the failure lay on the part of the department and people who were responsible for enforcing the arrangement and that it was seen to take effect.
    Mr Sereng said Mr Numapo ruled after hearing submissions from both parties that:
    l THE informations against the defendants of each and severally as attached were withdrawn;
    l THE defendants each and severally were discharged;
    l ALL bail money by defendants each and severally were refunded; and
    l BAIL conditions imposed as part of the bail be lifted.
    The operation which was conducted early last month took centre stage the officers apprehended the non-citizens for allegedly breaching of our country’s labour and immigration laws."

Ramu is progressing full steam ahead.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add HIG (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.