Vic clubs are financially strained compared to their interstate...

1. 18,601 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 4
    Vic clubs are financially strained compared to their interstate counterparts, the sponsorship dollar is split 10 ways instead of 1 or 2 per city. Given the salary cap equalises the $ paid to players the "edge" comes from off field marketing (property?) deals and training facilities and support staff.

Clubs like North run off the smell of an oily rag and are not cashed up money machines like WCE or Adelaide for example. They deserve so much respect for what they have achieved this season. Carlton is getting its off field act in order now but was cash strapped for many years. There are many clubs in similar difficult circumstances.

The only very wealthy Vic clubs of recent times have been Collingwood and the Bombers.

The only Vic club with a strong home ground advantage is now Geelong, because of ground rationalisation. I think this is a key reason why some clubs have struggled.

Anyway these things move in cycles and I am glad to see Geelong looks a great chance to win the flag, or Collingwood if they are good enough. West Australians really seem to think Vics only want Vic clubs to win but I very much enjoyed Brisbane's era of dominance and seeing Sydney win after so many years. Most people just want to see a good game of footy and see the winning team play a good attacking brand of football.

Go Cats, they tick all the boxes.

PS get off Judd's back, he made the club successful as much as the club made him successful, respect his wishes and let him get on with his career, wherever it may take him.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.