cheers @Southoz..... a well reasoned point made clearly.Unless I...

1. 47,179 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 649
    cheers @Southoz..... a well reasoned point made clearly.

Unless I miss the mark the main concerns here are to protect the Govt, including the PM and AG, to prevent media speculation and thereby trial by media and perhaps lastly to see some sort of justice for the unfortunate woman who took her life - well I think most would agree with the last.

I posit that not having an I inquiry encourages and virtually gives licence to the media to conduct their own inquiries and form their own opinions. This will likely take some time and could repeat further opinions pieces at crucial times such as elections. I'm sure we're all aware that journos love nothing better than looking under carpets for sweepings to yield interesting dirt.

Having an Inquiry would benefit journalists and the public by having genuine and factual information to be published and discussed with informed opinion being formed.

Southoz the Terms of Reference set the ground rules for such and unless those terms want Porter so examined the Terms should be limited.

personally I don't know if Porter did anything to the woman. I think anyone who decides at this point whether he be guilty or innocent is only waving the flag.

This is why we do need an Inquiry. I don't think it should have the powers to find against someone but should be able to refer someone to Police for further investigation if required. If there is to be confidence in the Govt, under whatever flag, we ordinary bods should be able to have confidence in the integrity of the people we elect and, from the sources I've watched/read today and tonight, that confidence is looking a wee bit rattled.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.