christianity and reason, page-32

1. 1,799 Posts.

Atomou, I'm waiting for Snuff to respond, but you say ..... "Denman, how did your catechism teacher interpret the word "logos" in St John's gospel (In the beginning there was the.... "logos")?"

Let's just say that there was no "in the beginning" but you may consider "logos" in the following and perhaps this may be a primer for Snuff's response if this thread doesn't get wiped by the Coppers.

Reason is crucial to clear communication. It's very nature is connected to the concept of language and in this respect, if we believe in the importance of the human desire to communicate, we have to believe in reason. e.g. If I mention that "postmodern" has mutated into a hyperlink to the 360 degrees of an infinite meta-narrative with its global network of moderators and always connected, then we now have a communications medium unlike others that were one to many forms. The internet is communications many to many which I find truly significant.

The Enlightenment we understand as a struggle in the name of reason, against tyranny, superstition and inequity, but at its core was the new communications medium with the printing press. Where once there was but the spoken word, and then the beautifully hand written word, now we have the printed word. Next we have the wire which then goes from the wire to the wireless. Wireless is a one to many dictatorship of the loud vioce and hence the modernism of the early twentieth century is reflective of extremes of unreason. It is not surprising that television gave us the postmodern but the internet is interactive, democratic with a deeper realism and our new enlightenment where the word is not with a teddy but with the people.

AND again ..... where the word is not with a teddy but with the people. i.e. there is no teddy and that's why we are having teddy wars.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.