BSE 2.04% 25.0¢ base resources limited

Civil War in Kenya, page-3

1. 2,729 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2427
    Hi @IndexFund, thanks for your concerns. With 1.3B people in Africa and 53M people in Kenya living each day, loving their families and choosing to bring children into the world and grow the population, I think those concerns may be over blown. Base has been in Kenya for 10 years and no one's even had an LTI since a guy stepped off a ladder awkwardly around the end of construction.

My optimism, as reflected in the long only investing strategy inspired name of LongTony, may make investing in Base easier than it is for someone using the name IndexFund, with its conservative connotations.

I was lucky to travel around Kenya in 2017; regarding the article you posted, Somalia provides the source of the instability, but we visited Lamu, a coastal town close to Somalia that at the time was on DFAT's "do not travel" recommendation. It was beautiful and safe; and there's a US military base between there and Somalia. Lamu has been settled for 650 years, as you say "anything can happen at anytime" but that doesn't mean it will happen, and I'd point to seven centuries of continuous settlement as a more valid reflection of risk. The "do not travel" recommendation was lifted by DFAT while we were there and we traveled into town that week with the Australian consular officials who made the decision. This is the "risky" end of Kenya, which is not that risky, Kwale is at the other end of the Kenyan coast, south of Mombasa.

The types of concern that you mention are a deterrent for many people, making it possible for investors to buy future income very cheaply. Africa is not an homogenous mass, it is many different countries, regions, localities and cultures. Base has chosen to operate in areas it understands and has a long, proven track record of success. There are plenty of African operations that I'd choose not to invest in because of real, current risks.

Base is a company in which I'm proud and happy to be a long term investor.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add BSE (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
25.0¢
Change
0.005(2.04%)
Mkt cap ! $294.5M
Open High Low Value Volume
25.0¢ 25.0¢ 24.5¢ $866.1K 3.480M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
16 1122679 24.0¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
25.0¢ 269312 3
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 02/09/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
BSE (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.