CUO copperco limited

clean up

1. 1,346 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2
    Clean-up order
    TAHNEE WATSON
    2/03/2009 8:51:00 AM
    COPPER Co’s Lady Annie mine has been issued an Environmental Protection Order to take urgent action to prevent further discharge of contaminated water from the site.
    Spills and discharge incidents from the mine since January 1 have polluted the nearby Saga and Inca creeks and caused the death of some fish in the area.

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) on Friday directed the mine to inform them of what action it would take to repair a collapsed stormwater pond wall on site.

The EPA continues to recommend that people avoid swimming in, drinking from or allowing stock to drink from Saga Creek and Inca Creek until sampling results show it is safe to do so.

“The EPA chartered a helicopter to undertake extensive sediment and water sampling along Saga and Inca Creeks and the Buckley River and has sent them to a laboratory for analysis as a high priority,” an EPA spokesperson said.

“The results will be made public as soon as they are available.”

The EPA has also contacted landowners downstream of the mine and will continue to keep them up-to-date on any new information.

Meanwhile initial results indicate Coppermine Creek near Cloncurry has largely recovered from a contaminated discharge from Great Australia Mine about two weeks ago with pH levels returning to normal.

“Laboratory results have confirmed that the discharge from the mine had low (acidic) pH and contained elevated concentrations of heavy metals, including copper, zinc, nickel and cadmium,” an EPA spokesperson said.

“The discharge occurred between the 10th and 12th of February and EPA staff collected sediment and water samples on 10th and 16th of February.

“Laboratory results from the sampling on the 10th of February demonstrated contamination of Coppermine Creek, downstream of the mine, of copper, cadmium nickel and zinc, as well as a low pH.

However by February 16, the pH had returned to normal and heavy metal concentrations had decreased to close to normal levels in the creek.”

The EPA’s investigation into this discharge is continuing and the laboratory results will be used to guide what statutory action, if any, is taken against the mine operator under the Environmental Protection Act

The EPA will provide copies of sample results to the Cloncurry Shire Council, Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries and Queensland Health.

The mine, which is currently not in operation, has taken action to reduce water levels in its pond system to minimise the risk of any further discharge due to heavy rain.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add CUO (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.