Climate change rallies held across Australia, page-92

1. 10,628 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 225
    With respect Laira:

I agree that any 'end is nigh' view is OTT and unhelpful and it is certainly not one I subscribe to.

However that assumes we do take action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to limit the expected temperature rise to 2 degrees. If we don't, then there ARE substantial risks of at best very expensive and potentially catastrophic consequences. If you think that is scaremongering, then I think that you are simply unaware of or perhaps are uncomfortable confronting the real risks that science tells us do exist. So you can object to that if you like, but it is not scaremongering, which implies needless raising of alarm. There is robust science behind the issue and it would not be being considered by the UN and all nations if there was not.

You are welcome to say what you like. And you have. You very obviously don't need permission.

But when you make a statement asking "where is the empirical evidence that human emissions of CO2 alter the climate" followed by " It seems to me to be an assumption, fed into computer models" followed by a statement that you "object to scaremongering" you can expect to get called out for that. You are welcome to say what you like, but if you enter any debate espousing a view point that is clearly uninformed, then don't be surprised if you fairly curtly get told to do a minimum of research before you assert you object to others views.

We can and do debate the detail of the modelling when la nina and el nino, aerosols, solar variability, volcanic activity and other factors affect the trend.

But all the climate models have predicted warming, and observed temperature rises are broadly consistent with what has been modelled. And that warming is not otherwise explained, unless you model the impact of greenhouse gas emission from human fossil burning.

That is detailed in the first sections of the IPCC reports, so you can find it there if you are truly interested.

Re cherry picking sources to suit one's views.

Only one side cherry picks bloggers assertions and and presents misleading snippets of the science and related info as facts. The rest of us rely on the science and don't need to cherry pick bits of it.

So I'd disagree with you on that too.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.