WHC 1.40% $8.43 whitehaven coal limited

On global temps:As I mentioned before, "wealthy" humans will be...

1. 1,945 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 185

On global temps:
    As I mentioned before, "wealthy" humans will be fine. You and I, we could probably physically live in a world that is 5 degrees warmer. But we aren't the only ones on this planet. Not everyone is as lucky as we are.

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/5749/5749571-a4ae80f4f5e316b9a3dde96169b6ca93.jpg

Half a dozen independent agencies reaching the same conclusion is not a coincidence. It might not make mathematical sense to you, but that doesn't mean its wrong/corrupted/etc etc. I don't understand the intricate details of the internal combustion engine, I accept there are people much smarter than me on the topic and I accept that they know better than I do and there's stuff I'm not aware of. I don't drop my car off to get service and start telling the mechanics what to do/they're wrong, etc etc.

Think of it like this. What seems more likely; You genuinely know more than the thousands and thousands of research scientists and they've all got it wrong, OR, there are things you are not aware of that they know, and that's why they've reached the conclusion they have.

On food supply
    Scientists use those words because there are variables outside of their knowledge/control. I accept that. Like I said, very few papers, if any, give conclusions based on 100% certainty. When seismologists start noticing tell tale signs of an earthquake, you don't see them saying exactly where/when/how strong the earthquake will be. Its the same with cyclones, they can show predictions of a path, some are more accurate than others, but they don't say "This cyclone will follow this path and will definitely be a category 5 and will have wind speeds of 200lkm/hr etc etc". Thats the reality of the natural sciences.

On yield
    Sure, I agree with you in some respect. Some of those scenarios have played out in some parts of the world. Like I said, some crop yields in some parts will be lower, and some will be higher. That's great if you can move the food to those areas with lower yields without negatively impacting that population (i.e. lets say North America produces 10% less cereal grains, and Chine produces 10% more, Is North America going to be subject to much higher prices now? - thats a negative impact. The same could be said in reverse).

On survival
    Again, we are "wealthy" and live in a "wealthy" country. We will most certainly be fine. Its the poor, poverty stricken. I'm not going to go find a bunch of sources, but a quick google scholar search will show that lesser developed countries are at higher risk than more developed countries.

Correct, we don't know with 100% certainty what life will be like in 2100. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be looking at ways to reduce out impact (as you have agreed is a reasonable thing to do). As you have raised, at what speed/time frame should we do this? Good question. I have said many times fossil fuels will be with us for a while. I accept that.

Yes, it will cost money. But innovation drives the future. This video does another great job of addressing some of your points. Seriously, do yourself a favour and give it a watch.

Cheers,

Alex

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add WHC (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$8.43
Change
-0.120(1.40%)
Mkt cap ! $7.052B
Open High Low Value Volume
$8.55 $8.55 $8.38 $37.85M 4.471M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
2 34786 $8.42

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$8.44 12724 3
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 18/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
WHC (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.