WHC 0.38% $7.77 whitehaven coal limited

Unfortunately you may have been mislead in many of your...

1. 1,364 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1180
    Unfortunately you may have been mislead in many of your comments. Generally people with a pro net zero emissions have their hearts in the right place but often get the facts behind the statistics wrong. Lets explore:

1) You - "Yes, its been in the system, but it hasn't always been in the atmosphere."

FALSE - Rocks like limestone and fossil fuels like coal and oil are storage reservoirs that contain carbon from plants and animals that lived millions of years ago. When these organisms died, slow geologic processes trapped their carbon and transformed it into these natural resources. Plants ingest co2 from the atmosphere and convert the co2 into stored energy through Photosynthesis. So it was in the atmosphere.

2) You - "What a lovely anecdote, unfortunately, your observation of "unemployment through the roof" (google tells me its about 6%, Australia is 4.1% for comparison), People are very poor (You visited a third world country for god sake) yet, their GDP is rising "

FALSE -
    I find it amusing when someone automatically knows more through a 1 minute google search then by getting on ground and talking with the locals. It's from the playbook of ABC fact checkers. Yes the OFFICIAL unemployment rate is circa 6%, but real unemployment is vastly different. You see the number of 6% is based on an underlying assumption or definition of what being unemployed is. You are not unemployed in Bhutan if you maintain a connection with an employer or if you are on a rural subsistence farm. Our guide and driver worked 4 weeks in the past 52 weeks (the tourist season is short and competition is fierce), but are considered fully employed because they are on the books of a tour company. These companies try and spread the work around and compete with the other 10,000 tourist companies. Their brothers are fully employed but live on a subsistence farm. 48.5% of the population are subsistence farmers and they and their families are then considered not unemployed. So your 6% is a false statistic. Regarding GDP, it is not a proxy for average household income.
    https://www.nsb.gov.bt/wp-content/uploads/dlm_uploads/2022/04/LFS-2021-web.pdf

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/6182/6182720-830260f8fd3dd6e09c1b2cd3333caa78.jpg
    3) You - Ill put it in another sense. My person income tax makes up less than 0.001% of the total taxes collected by the Government. Therefore, because its such a small amount, then they wont miss it if I dont pay it. But if everyone shared the same view, then no body would be paying the taxes.

This is an odd argument, to prove a point. Income tax is proportioned on all citizens, net zero is apportioned to only some countries. The fastest growing emitters are exempt. Australia as a 1% emitter is paying its taxes, but 80% of the world's emitters are exempt. So why should I pay the price of transitioning to net zero, when in a matter of months the growth in emissions from exempt developing countries will exceed or reductions? Surely you'd get the best bang for your protest buck in lobbying the fastest growing emitters to sign up to the cause.

Here are a few things to think about:

a) if getting to net zero is so important, and you are so concerned about the growth rate in co2, should you be lobbying the Chinese and Indian embassies to stop their alarming growth in carbon emissions
    b) Given that you are so passionate on net zero, what have you personally done to eliminate your own emissions? Have you pulled the plug from the grid to stop your emissions? Or do you believe it's the governments roll to force everyone to comply without leading the way first?
    c) Is net zero more important then poverty, hunger, education, equality of sexes, clean water and curing curable diseases? Maybe for you it is, but it definitely isn't for those trapped in poverty, hunger and abusive cultures.

All the best

Last edited by hoodle: spelling 20/05/24

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add WHC (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$7.77
Change
-0.030(0.38%)
Mkt cap ! $6.500B
Open High Low Value Volume
$7.70 $7.84 $7.69 $37.59M 4.840M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
3 5512 $7.74

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$7.78 2928 2
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 25/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
WHC (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.