'...we did not find clear evidence that [they] intended to...

1. 2,649 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 249
    '...we did not find clear evidence that [they] intended to violate laws governing the handling of classified information...'

I don't believe anyone needs to 'intentionally' violate laws governing the handling of classified information to have nevertheless violated them. Could go to 'mitigation' but not to 'elements' or 'proofs' of the offence.

The whole point of having laws concerning the securing of classified information is surely to punish the failure to keep, store and transmit this classified information securely.

FBI: Did you keep the classified information securely and on authorized government servers and systems that everyone else in the US government uses and as the law requires?

Hilary Clinton: No, I set up a private server without authorization and stored them there.

FBI: Why?

Hilary Clinton: It was convenient.

FBI: So, it wasn't to sell or supply secrets to our Nation's enemies?

Hilary Clinton: No, of course not, I'm a patriot and if you hadn't noticed, running for POTUS.

FBI: But you realize our Nation's enemies might have accessed them because the storage place was not secure and not authorized?

Hilary Clinton: Yes, of course, but that was not my intention. It was just soooo convenient for me that the security of classified information was not something I ever considered. You'd think I might, being Secretary of State and all, but oh well, silly me.

FBI: Oh, well that's OK then, no reasonable prosecutor could see any offence committed by just doing that - even though you previously stated falsely that no classified information was ever stored on that server.

Gob-smacking stuff really. I really hope some hard-ass in the Department of Justice who believes in the rule of law steps up, but will AG Lynch determine who gets that task - like coincidentally some career guy with a sick wife?

Any AG should at least be concerned to see the FBI keen to assume not just the DOJ role, but that of the Supreme Court in revising what constitutes an offence concerning failures to keep safe classified material.

Amazing, historical stuff going on here.

Should be interesting to see the grilling the FBI Director gets on Capitol Hill from Republicans tomorrow.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.