HMX 2.50% 4.1¢ hammer metals limited

You raise an interesting point and I have done a few tables for...

1. 1,079 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 6394
    You raise an interesting point and I have done a few tables for Hammer Metals-Carnaby Resources comparison purposes. A very rough guide appears to be that deposits with greater than $150/t of contained metal get mined using todays prices (yes I know each deposit has different mining and processing costs etc and should be treated on merit not by a rule of thumb). Kalman meets this threshold but it has different metallurgy and metal mix. It has $94.32/t of copper and gold and $81.3/t of Molybdenum and Rhenium. The market does not seems to believe in the Mo and Re value at Kalman. Recently Mo prices have varied from $30-100,000/t and currently sits at $75,000. If the price was $30,000/t for Mo the contained metal value per tonne of ore at Kalman drops to $130.62/t and this does not look attractive. The processing cost of extracting 4 metals, Cu, Au, Mo and Re, will very likely exceed that of just extracting Cu and Au. Kalman open pit looks even worse at $113.40/t with all 4 metals and is probably why Kalman remains unmined. The high grade zone at Kalman looks more promising with 10.5 million tonne with a Cu-Au contained metal value of $150.48 and this jumps to $329.88/t if Mo and Re are included. These figures use the current very high price of gold at $3167/oz.

My conclusion is that when the market believes that Hammer can extract the Mo at a reasonable price and lock in long term sale contracts for Mo at prices in excess of $50,000/t then Hammer may get a re-rate. More drilling is needed to bring Kalman up to measured resources and reserves before firm offtake contracts and development funding are likely. By expanding the tonnage through drilling the project gets more interesting and may enable more market interest.

Hammer have a few other deposits that exceed $150/t contained metal but each is small and not likely to stand alone although could be mined as part of a larger project, Overlander, Lakeview and Jubilee for example.

Hammer have recently drilled some good holes that show mineralisation well in excess of my $150/t contained metal rough rule of thumb for copper-gold deposits. There are numerous gold mines mining below 1.5g/t (or $150/t) but large open pits with simple metallurgy are required at lower grades.

Carnaby also have a few issues with my rule of thumb. The total resource comes in at $184.2/t but the Nil Desperandum open pit is a struggle at $106/t as is Duchess/Ivanhoe at $98.4/t. Perhaps Nil Desperandum can be mined as a means to get to the pay day underground. The Breccia zone at $466/t looks good and could even be a shaft access if copper prices continue to drift. Lady Fanny, Bourke and Wills and Mount Hope look good.

So Hammer need to expand Kalman, focus on higher grade zones and get a long term agreement to sell Molybdenum at high prices. However recent drill results and potential at Mount Hope South, Mascotte and Mount Mascotte give me more excitement for viable copper gold deposits. Both Carnaby and Hammer have WA lithium and gold projects both going nowhere at present but things can change quickly.

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/5693/5693112-7dd2c1495585f5c4150aff87dbd5f732.jpg
    Also some other deposits in the Mt Isa/Cloncurry area to compare with. Interestingly the mining cut-off at todays metal prices seems to be contained metal of about $150/t ore. The Swan and Mount Dore/Merlin deposits are below this and have not been mined (may be some old workings). Further details on the third table give a similar impression. Winu is not yet progressing with mining despite the size. The very high value smaller Liontown deposits in QLD are owned by Sunshine Metals are likely to be mined given the value and potential for resource growth with further drilling which is underway. Havieron is under development and Nifty is seeking finance. Minyari is looking for more resources before PFS stage. DeGrussa and Monty made substantial profits for Sandfire which should not surprise when the value per tonne and resource size is considered.

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/5693/5693119-0c0f52edc7aa8f7e9d1e79d89a972dcd.jpg

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/5693/5693124-cf504c8d04cd682c0089e412a5aa1746.jpg

DYOR. Not investment advice.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add HMX (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.