ELK 0.00% 1.4¢ elk petroleum limited

co2 injections may cause earth quakes

1. 3,237 Posts.
    Friday, November 08, 2013 news story

The new study was conducted by researchers from China University of Geosciences and the University of Texas at Austin and published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. The researchers analyzed 93 separate earthquakes that took place in Texas between March 2009 and December 2010. They found that many of the earthquakes occurred shortly after oil and gas companies had injected carbon dioxide into their wells.

"The timing of gas injection suggests it may have contributed to triggering the recent seismic activity," the researchers wrote. "If so, this represents an instance where gas injection has triggered earthquakes having magnitudes 3 and larger."

Carbon dioxide is injected into aging oil and gas wells as a way of extending their output. As easy-to-obtain oil and gas runs out around the world, such extreme drilling practices are becoming more common. For example, Occidental Petroleum says that nearly 60 percent of its West Texas and southeast New Mexico oil production uses carbon dioxide flooding techniques.

This time, the industry hasn’t been so quick to deny responsibility. If they’re causing earthquakes, they should pay for damage.

For the full story:- http://www.naturalnews.com/042824_fracking_texas_earthquakes_gas_extraction.html#ixzz2mrNYRCXT

Now this from the CEO review in the 2013 ELK Annual Report:-

and this also from the ELK Annual Report:-

The story defiantly has to do with injection of CO2 into aging oil wells.

and I note:-

They found that many of the earthquakes occurred shortly after oil and gas companies had injected carbon dioxide into their wells.

"The timing of gas injection suggests it may have contributed to triggering the recent seismic activity," the researchers wrote

If you look up the definition of "may have" you will find its used for saying "that there is a possibility that something is true"

so it's definitely not conclusive

and I'm not suggesting it will happen at Grieve, but to me it appears they are doing the same thing:- injecting aging oil fields with CO2, ... so it is relevant to report here

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ELK (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.