well i never, mudguts. You wouldn't be fibbing would you,...

1. 9,047 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 493
    well i never, mudguts. You wouldn't be fibbing would you, again.

that's amazing. Record setting cold. Cold that is unprecedented. Never before experienced in the history of the world. and even more incredible, happening now, somewhere on Earth, as we live.

yo mudguts , did you see the youtube presentation by ZDoggMD that looked at possible reasons why people attach themselves to conspiracy theories. I guess not.

the good doctor was talking specifically about conspiracy theories about the Covid-19 pandemic, but it also applies to others such as religion, climate change denial, antivaxx etc. here's the gist of it.

we live in uncertain times, which can induce a sense of powerlessness and fear of the unknown, maybe even panic.

despite some things not being known, many people want certainty in theit life and that's provided by the conspiracy theory. Part of the deal is that taking on board of any 'facts' or 'knowledge' can give a person a sense of the high moral ground or righteousness because they 'know' things others don't.

critical thinking isn't part of the construct. Conspiracy theorists don't do any.

that's it in a nutshell, except for this.

any attempt by someone to question the validity or basis of the conspiracy theory will usually be met with an emotional response from the adherent. That's because any such question must automatically shake the foundations of this place of emotional certainty the person has retreated into, and the moral high ground arising from their special 'knowledge'. In short, don't threaten the righteous, they can't think rationally.

so mudguts, you're a case in point. Feel free to cling desperately to your climate change denial pseudoscience to give you the certainty you crave. But know that it's tedious, repetitive, almost tinged with humour sometimes and often sad.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.