COK 0.00% 0.0¢ cockatoo coal limited

It's not that a drop in one directly implies a drop in the...

1. 6,294 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2496
    It's not that a drop in one directly implies a drop in the other, however a drop in one is usually reflective of a broader economic trend that also affects the other. Namely that both energy consumption and steelmaking output depend heavily on the global economic situation.

I was actually going to say the same thing in my last post about the de-coupling of the two due to the US shale gas revolution, but so far that doesn't seem to have happened - HCC prices have crashed as hard as thermal, maybe worse. And it has flucutated a bit over time, but I remember for most of the 2000s HCC was roughly double the thermal coal price - from $50/100 in the early 2000s to $150/300 in the peak boom just before the GFC. Coking coal prices seem to be significantly less than double the price of NEWC now. If shale gas was having a big effect it should widen the gap, not narrow it.

But it doesn't really matter - it's still true to say that a drop in thermal coal prices is likely to be indicative of a drop of metallurgical coal prices.

Another reasonable proxy for the met coal price is, obviously, the price of iron ore.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add COK (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.