Graham,Thank you for your views. They are completely different...

1. 11,934 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 234
    Graham,
    Thank you for your views. They are completely different than mine but that is their value to me.

I have a different view to you, the Greens, the Libs and Labor (past and present) on refugees.

Australians are a fair and generous people. They don't want to be harsh but their tolerance for being taken advantage of has been exceeded.

A view that we can change the world to solve its problems is unrealistic. A couple of thousand years ago a great man said that the poor will always be with us. They always will and will always want to improve their lot by moving here, as we did. Nor do we or the USA have a right to try to change other countries.

Like any good samaritan Australia should offer shelter to anyone arriving on our doorstep in fear of their life. That doesn't mean they can move in.

Those arriving without invitation should be housed on Christmas Island in safe, humane but Spartan conditions which offer no incentive. No tobacco, money, internet nor airconditioning.

Australia should run this island. It is our duty, our neighbours can look after their own refugees, we will look after ours.

In practical terms. Christmas Island should be requisitioned by the navy under the Defence Act and the few civilians there moved out. It should be run by the navy.

Boatpeople on Christmas island should know they never have a chance of going to Australia.

This policy must have bi partisan support or boatpeople will arrive in hope of a policy change ay each election.

I think we will get to this arrangement after muddling around at vast human and financial cost.

bacci

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.