coalition's plan to cut welfare benefits , page-59

1. 46,202 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3
    Hi The Gecko, if thats what they do it wont be a problem. However if they are looking to save serious money from the exercise I cant see how they can achieve it. It would mean all DSP holders would need to be re-assessed and then a good proportion would need to be proven they are not medically unfit to work. To do that would cost an arm and a leg and would create aggravation for the existing bona fide DSP holders who have already been through the medical mill to qualify.

If what is going to happen is that there will be more focus on eligibility by new applicants for the DSP ( more rigor in assessments) or reviews take place based on reliable information that would be feasible. However, if it is that restricted the savings over costs will be that great. More likely it would not get many back into the workforce but rather possibly moving onto Newstart.

The government is supposedly committed to big reductions in debt so I do wonder where that is going to come from particularly as it intends to remove the carbon and mining taxes and introduce a new tax for Abbott's expensive version of a paid parental leave scheme. Its a mind boggling exercise and its no wonder there is a lot of suspense as to what is going to happen. Maybe the government doesn't intend to go down the track of slashing debt and thats why they have removed the debt ceiling Maybe they are going down the same path as Labor and increasing debt. hard to tell.

So until the government spells out what it will actually do there is going to be speculation and lobbying by all areas of interest because the reality is no-one wants to carry the can for cuts. Just my opinions.

cheers

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.