coalition's plan to cut welfare benefits , page-69

1. 35,392 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 198
    Hingdog,

Your comment:

"if Abbott comes up with many more stupid waste of money schemes like his marriage one"

I think the counselling scheme would be better utilised if it was for those contemplating marriage as opposed to those already married, still I guess it is better late than never.

The Howard Gov't had a scheme in place which was a prerequisite if you were to marry in an Anglican Church and I think a Catholic Church and maybe other Churches as well.

From personal experience it was a really good scheme which entailed quite a detailed suitability/compatibility test for couples.

The tests divulge quite a lot of information to the couple about each other and are good at exposing hidden or suppressed value systems and the way each person reacts to certain situations.

Given the massive financial, emotional and restrictive nature of marriage and children I would say it is a valuable tool for assessing whether marriage is appropriate for the individual contemplating it and whether the partner you have chosen is the person they portray themselves to be.

If you were not aware of yours and your partners ability to cope with sleep depravation, financial compromise and stress, temper control and example setting before marriage and children you certainly will be after marriage and children. Thus any insights pre exposure to the marriage and children is a positive (even if only in my opinion).

Given the massive amounts of money wasted on crazy ideas by the previous government and the amount of money All Governments get around to wasting, I would have thought this scheme from a cost view point is a Storm In A Tea Cup.

Below is the web address for the ABS stats on divorce. Not sure how defacto relationships that fail get counted in the total mix of failed as opposed to ongoing unions.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/Products/3310.0~2012~Chapter~Divorces?OpenDocument

MI

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.