Thanks Club Sharer, roasting the coffee does sound simple...

1. 1,204 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 55
    Thanks Club Sharer, roasting the coffee does sound simple enough. From what I've read, best done in the garage. The smell isn't as nice and smokes up.

I'll take a look at that site too. I am looking for a light to medium roast.

Boiling water or even hotter water brings out acidity and bitterness. I expect the percolator probably is more likely to bring the water to high temperatures.

This is the reason the French Press is able to extract all the coffee bean flavour. Some machines have paper filters which also take out the oils. The only down side I've read so far is that once made, the coffee gets cold very quickly. They come in different sizes which is useful - I saw different sized ones- 2, 3, 4, 8 and a 12 cup units. I'll see how I go with my 8 cup and if I like it I may even buy a smaller unit.

The woman who recommended the Press grew up on coffee since the first grade, her mum used to make coffee in a percolator.

In the press the water and bean sit and stay together so all the flavor is extracted. with the drip machine, you get water that pisses thru the beans rapidly so you get coffee that's only about half as flavorful.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.