ORG 0.21% $9.64 origin energy limited

"What we have now is businesses and household owners moaning...

1. 121 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 21
    "What we have now is businesses and household owners moaning always about electricity prices."

Yes, they are moaning because the LNG export facilities increased the price of natural gas as Santos and Origin intended them to do. That increased the price at which gas fired power stations would operate - in a balanced market they are often setting the electricity price.

Then we saw Hazelwood decommissioning.

I don't know what the best way to run the grid is, it just seems from the vulgar economist/capitalist perspective that this industry is a natural monopoly so should either be state owned or tightly regulated.

There's no way for a little guy to start up against a behemoth like Origin and there's no difference in the product (electricity).

In a free market if I run a restaurant and make crap curry I will be out of business as there are 10 other brilliant people who will produce something amazing.

A natural monopoly like electricity, like Origin is here's my cold curry for an extortionate price you have to buy it as there's no-one else.

We are constantly seeing failures in the electricity market as owners of different assets play games. Solar doesn't want to pay for reserves so Angus Taylor from the NSW Anarcho-Communist league is building a power station that may only run a few times a year to prevent major price spikes.

Nothing about the situation is efficient.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ORG (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$9.64
Change
0.020(0.21%)
Mkt cap ! $16.60B
Open High Low Value Volume
$9.62 $9.66 $9.58 $19.13M 1.987M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
4 12887 $9.60

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$9.65 15283 4
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 03/05/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
$9.64
  Change
0.020 ( 0.27 %)
Open High Low Volume
$9.60 $9.66 $9.59 630721
Last updated 15.59pm 03/05/2024 ?
ORG (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.