Hi David,I am a Retail/office landlord and do all my own...

1. 510 Posts.

Hi David,

I am a Retail/office landlord and do all my own leasing.

Mate it depends on many factors.

Yes landlords will pay for a fit out or part of ,or as you say will give a rent free period. Usually for a decent lease term and annual increase.

The name of the game for a landlord is long lease and as high as possible rate with 3/5 % increase annually. Dont be fooled into to paying a high rate of rent for incentives ,paticularly if they are only short term or minimal.

What you want to look for is Low rent in a good building with quality tenants. If you are doing the fitout ,this should mean a really good rental rate ,and definetly rent free period as well. Maximum annual increase cpi or ask for say 2%. Make sure you get a full breakdown of outgoings. Some landlords will have you pay all of their running costs right down to there Landtax. Some deals are being struck with very low outgoings.

Hard to advise without knowing location and your circumstances etc . Bottom line is do a lot of research on net and call agents ,as from suburb to suberb varies and there are some great deals being offered without having to do the hard yards.

I am not a financial advisor so please keep researching info to help you work out the best way to negotiate.

All the best

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.