I was accepted for a position of "Advertising executive" and...

1. 2,098 Posts.
    I was accepted for a position of "Advertising executive" and started work last Monday. In the interview i was led to believe that selling advertising for a particular glossy magazine that supports the building industry, would be not easy although i should expect to make on average of at least one sale per day which would pay a 20% commission of around $240 plus gst. The leads were to be qualified and warm.I was also required to have an ACN number presumably to avoid paying super and other entitlements ect although there was another alternative and that was to receive 15% commission on each sale and the company pay the tax and whatever else
    Turns out the job was basically glorified telemarketing and the leads were copied straight from the yellow pages. The training was very minimal with no calls being made by the sales manager to set an example of what to do or say.
    I persevered for 3.5 days making literally 300 plus calls with not one sale being made. The other 2 guys that started the same day hadn't made any either.Then i find out that a couple of established salesmen in the same call centre and there was only 2, took 2-3 weeks to make their first sale. I then mutually agreed with the sales manager that this 'job " wasn't for me and in fact told him he had misled me. I have to say i was pretty pissed off because i had wasted all that time attempting to secure some dollars in these tough times and incurred costs of around $60 for parking and fuel. I decided to send them an invoice anyway for my time as i worked damned hard in a demoralizing job copping rejection after rejection. I decided $22 ph inc gst was fair enough as i had a look at what other call center companies were offering as retainers. As expected the invoice was rejected. Even the sales / state manager himself applauded me for tenacity and not give up attitude.
    This is the second time this year i worked for nothing because of this commission only bullshit. I am of the belief that i should be paid minimum award or something. I am of the opinion the contract was a sham contract with most risk to be taken by the new sales staff
    Any way my question is, should i let it go or seek help in recovering the invoiced amount. I am a single dad with a 12 yo son to support and deep in debt. I have been threatened with legal action if i pursue the claim. I accept that i probably won't get paid but i want this company to think twice before treating vulnerable people like this . I see they placed another add on seek (gold coast) today for the next round of cannon fodder. Any help or opinions appreciated as i m stewing with anger atm.... Regards

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.