compulsary voting

1. 1,893 Posts.

We all know that our major parties bring policies and make promises based on being elected or re-elected to Government. This means that we only get corrective measures when the consequences of bad policy are so obvious that the Government thinks the majority of the populous will accept the changes. This leads to a re-active style of Governance

So here's a thought - why not make voting optional so that if you have zero interest or are simply too lazy to vote then you don't. For example - in the Federal election before last a friend of mine who was working in a polling booth said a young bloke came up to him and asked - "I want to vote for the party that is lead by Bob Hawk - which party is that"

This young chaps vote is worth as much as mine (and it should be) but where I give consideration to what the country needs I fear this young bloke who obviously had limited Political knowledge was voting only because he had to

I feel that optional voting would mean policies would have to have enough substance to stand evaluation as those who can't be bother won't be bothered

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.