OMN 0.00% 97.0¢ onemarket limited

@madamswer Lots of good information to digest in your post....

1. 976 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 206
    @madamswer

Lots of good information to digest in your post.

Agree that the share price 12 months from now will most likely reflect the success OMN has. But it's still possible in my view for OMN to have had some degree of success, but not have the share price rise accordingly. The market has been known to undervalue securities, and sometimes it happens simply because the company is too obscure and not on the radar of most investors. It's better to market yourselves somewhat while you're still reliant on capital raisings and reduce this risk, in my view.

I admit it probably wasn't wise to buy OMN as an asset play. As you pointed out, the most likely scenario is that OMN's cash gets fully spent towards developing their software. However I still ask myself if the cash value could be released in other perhaps less likely scenarios. For example, if it becomes evident by the end of the year that the whole concept is unworkable for some reason (perhaps they fail to secure any more participants, and some existing participants leave the network) would the board start thinking about preserving shareholder funds and put the Onemarket project on ice? Could a Ron Brierley type corporate raider, lured by a large cash discount, launch a takeover bid for OMN and then seek to wind up the company to release its cash holdings? Could the Lowy's make an offer to privatise OMN at a price closer to cash backing?

I'm not an expert on takeovers or corporations law so I don't claim to know accurately the probabilities associated with corporate manoeuvres involving OMN. I would guess Unibail and Lowy's OMN stakes of around 10% each could make things difficult. But I feel like the collective probabilities of something happening on this front shouldn't be insignificant. If I'm misinformed on this matter, and I wouldn't be surprised if I am, I'm happy to hear why and learn from it.

Fair point about growing the overall pie. If OMN's services can help retailers win market share, I have no doubt OMN will prosper. I'm just sceptical of the idea that having more data on individual shoppers' habits will helps retailers win market share. I'm not too convinced about efficiency gains either. Having said that, the Lowy's seem to believe the idea is a goer, and I'm certainly not going to say I know retail better than them. So I could very well be wrong here.

True. But my concern is that the low share price could form an anchor around which OMN can raise capital overseas. My thinking is that any potential US investor looking to invest at the OM delaware level can say, "why should I pay $x for 10% of your business, when I'm being offered the same 10% for $ 1/2 x on disallowed?" It seems to me like the ASX listed share price will at influence at least partly any future capital raisings.

Anyway, this much I am certain of: OMN will be a learning experience for me one way or another by the time it's all over.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add OMN (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.