LYC 0.79% $6.30 lynas rare earths limited

Condisoil, page-150

1. 6,199 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 998
    Because that's not how I think or invest, jack. That's not how it works.

Speculating occurs with respect to upside and down, anything else is upside-down. Words like "unfounded" can apply to either.

With respect to your statement:
    "If there was even a concern with the ore leaving "underground Australia to on-the ground in Malaysia "as you put it ,then it certainly couldn't leave Mt Weld in "bags " for any destination !"

This is wrong. The concentrate sent from Mt Weld to the LAMP contains at least two radioactive elements that will essentially last forever: thorium and uranium. Depending on exposure, both are harmful to life.

The LAMP removes Th and U (along with other non-REE components and compounds) in the first steps of the processing, creating the WLP water/residue. The radioactivity in the WLP is low, but still ~10 times higher than surrounding Malaysian ground/background.

There are actually several risks associated with the presence of radioactive Th and U. Each could come back and bite the Lynas investor holding a long position. Someone working on the WLP waste pile gets a tumor, creating panic; WLP dust escapes the site via floods, winds, traffic, creating panic; Condisoil is not approved, creating a large liability; an on-site PDF is then also not approved, creating a VERY VERY LARGE liability. These are known knowns, jack.

None of these risks are "unfounded". None of them are unrecognized by intelligent investors. That's why the share price is stuck. Lynas needs Condisoil, needs it desperately, in fact.

I absolutely don't think Lynas is "fudging" anything (although the disappeared FGD does bug the shit out of me). I believe Lynas is serious about and enforcing radiation protection measures for those at risk. I don't think they can do much more to help themselves, other than possibly having Amanda taking home Condisoil for her vegetable garden. So the risk is now in the hands of the current government. I hate political risk. Hence my current sentiment.

The people of Malaysia trusted their government just a few years back to protect them from a rare earth fertilizer company. The government failed miserably and massive tragedy ensued and continues still today. Fuziaj championed an effort to stop another rare earth fertilizer company from even having a chance to do them dirty again. She can be blamed for distorting the truth, but not for believing she wasn't getting the truth from a government like they had. On some level, at some point in time, her efforts were commendable.

Thankfully, Lynas is an intrinsically low-risk operation; I wouldn't invest in a Monday sands operation. But "low risk" isn't "no risk". The risks aren't unfounded; they are known knowns.
    Last edited by Chemist1959: 15/06/18

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add LYC (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$6.30
Change
-0.050(0.79%)
Mkt cap ! $5.888B
Open High Low Value Volume
$6.34 $6.35 $6.29 $13.31M 2.111M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 10973 $6.30

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$6.31 14462 3
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 16/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
LYC (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.